Friday, June 15, 2007

Solar Cooking



I bought a Global Sun Oven off of eBay a few months ago, but had never used it. I stuck it outside last week to test it out and see how hot it would get. It got up to 350F! So I finally got brave and decided to make a meal. Wednesday I made tuna casserole and cooked it in the Sun Oven. I decided on that because all of the ingredients, except the peas, are already cooked, and I figured I'd have less a chance to kill us all with food poisoning if I screwed something up. Anyway, it all went well. I left it out for about 2 hours in the late afternoon sun, had to move it across the yard once when the shadow from the house moved over it, and the oven was still at about 200F when I took the casserole out. It was hot and yummy! It got a thumbs up from my husband and my son was eating it two-fisted, so I'll assume he liked it. And cooking with the sun assures that we will eat supper before 10pm (does this ever happen to you?). My next adventure will be bread. I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments: